We are a part of the Kinsmen Moose Jaw Minor Football League (KMJMFL). Our focus is on helping children build character, sportsmanship, self-confidence and learn responsibility and teamwork in a competitive environment while gaining a strong sense of community. WMF provides a structured, safe and secure environment for the children to learn these life skills while having fun.
5 BENEFITS OF CHILDREN PLAYING FOOTBALL
1. Health benefits: Football is a fast moving game with a lot of variety. Players run, jump, quickly change direction, and stop and start, which improves cardiovascular health. Practice drills, running routes and defensive techniques all encourage speed, strength, and stamina. These activities also engage motor skills, specifically hand eye coordination.
2. Teamwork: Football teaches kids accountability, leadership, and the impact of positive sportsmanship. Every position has a purpose and to execute a play successfully, each individual needs to fulfill their responsibility, while working together—a skill that’s valuable both on and off the field.
3. Discipline: Learning routes, repetitive drills, and executing proper technique take a high level of discipline—and football players do it time and time again. Each practice is laying the foundation for a strong work ethic that kids will use throughout their lives.
4. Mental toughness: Sports are a great platform to build mental toughness. Whether it’s making a mistake on the field or needing to comeback from a major upset, setbacks are bound to happen. To move forward, players must learn how to persevere. Football provides a lot of opportunities to improve mental toughness, from remaining calm under pressure to focusing during chaotic situations.
5. Socialization: Football teaches kids how to effectively communicate and work well with others. After all, one player can’t do everything. They rely on each other—what a better way to make long-lasting friendships? Layer this with learning to respect and receive direction from authority (aka coaches) and you have a range of socialization skills.